Sunday, February 9, 2014

Two Weeks of Groceries for Under $120.00 with meals



Its that time again.  Time to get ready to go to the grocery store to see if I can meal plan enough for two weeks of food as well as lunches for school and work.
I thought for sure this week would prove to be challenging because I decided to make a bunch of different meals that use various ingredients and also stock up on some items that were 10 for $10.  

The first thing I do is meal plan for two weeks (give or take some meals, but I try to get enough stuff to make many meals and some staples to have on hand incase I don't feel like making something I planned.)  I don't know if you are like me but occasionally I will have something planned but not be in the mood for it when it comes time to make it.  So the meal planning portion of this could change.

Here is what I planned for the two weeks:
Turkey Chili Mac
Beef Stroganoff 
Chicken Fajitas and Mexican Rice
Thanksgiving Dinner (Turkey Breast, stuffing, and a veggie)
Pesto Chicken and Brussel Sprouts
Pulled Pork, pasta salad and Corn
Lasagna Roll Ups (already in the freezer from when I made them a week ago)
Breakfast for Dinner (omelets, hash browns)
Tuna Pitas
Light Broccoli Alfredo
Grilled Chicken and Red Skins

Remember to Gather Up your Paper Work (Grocery List, Recipes, Coupons, Sale Ad, and your Grocery Budget Shopping list) 

My resources are printed below and I'm ready to work and plan before I go to the store so I can estimate how much groceries will cost.  
Don't forget to load your shopper card with digital coupons if your store has them.

My basket below!  I find that if you meal plan You can get great groceries.  I have also noticed that my basket is not filled to the top when I go to the cheek out.  I've discovered that if you fill your basket 1/2 way with meal planning items and that is it, your basket will be around $100.  At least it usually is for me (don't take my word for it though, every store and every meal plan will differ for personal preference.)

The grocery haul for the next two weeks (I may have to go out next week and get milk, that will depend on how much cereal my little guys eat for breakfast, but that should be all.)

Pretty good mix of quality items, fresh veggies, meat, dairy and canned.
If you are wondering where all my fruit is, I buy frozen fruit for smoothies and we still have a lot in the freezer from about a month ago and we have some cans.  So that will have to suffice until next time.

Close Up

I even had enough in the budget to buy myself flowers!  My little treat.

So whats the damage...I budgeted my bill would be $131.48 (wow that was expensive) but my actual bill turned out to be $116.16.  I over budgeted by a lot and the reason is because I was buying things I had no idea how much they cost.  I budgeted $4.00 for already made pesto but the actual price was $3.29.  Same for my face lotion $12.99 and I actually got it on sale and had a coupon so it was really $6.89.  The great thing about budgeting cost before you go to the store is so you have an idea about how much you are getting for your money and the cost.  Its so AWESOME when the price you pay is lower than what you expected.

Let this be a lesson to you...I got my Saturday mail from the mailbox after I went to the grocery store on Sunday...had I checked it before hand I would have had even more savings.  Oh well, I'll save money next time.

The itemized breakdown:

Meat: Whole Chicken, 3 lbs. of Ground Turkey, Stewing Beef, Honey Ham Deli Meat, Chicken Hot Dogs.

Snacks: 2 bags of Rice Cakes (caramel and chocolate)

Canned/Pantry: 3 Tomato Paste, 2 Tomato Sauce, 1 Tomato Puree, Chili Tomatoes, Chili Beans, 3 Prego Spaghetti Sauces, Beef Broth, Chicken Salad Lunch Kit, Worcestershire Sauce, Egg Noodles, 3 Boxes of Pasta Noodles, Turkey Stuffing, 2 Loaves of Bread, 1 Hamburger Bun

Frozen: Garlic Baguette, Hashbrowns, 2 Packages of Broccoli

Dairy: Caesar Dressing, Gallon of Milk, Swiss Cheese, 2 packages of Cheddar, 2 packages of Mozzarella, Pizza Lunchable, Eggs

Beverage: V8 Juice Boxes

Fresh: Asparagus Bunch, Romaine Lettuce, Iceberg Lettuce, 2 Green Peppers, Garlic, 2 Lemons, Red Skin Potatoes, Bananas

Household/Plastic: Snack plastic bags, Kids Body Wash, Loreal Face Lotion, Flower Bouquet 


No comments:

Post a Comment